Yesterday we had a big snowstorm so I was inspired to make a winter craft. I decided to make personalized hand warmers for the people I work with. There are lots of tutorials for these rice hand warmers but I haven’t seen any personalized or hand sewn warmers.
You will need:
- A sheet of felt in main colour and contrast
- Embroidery floss
Cut out two circles for each hand warmer. I used a Pringles can and traced a circle with chalk onto the felt.
- Cut out the letter you want on the hand warmer. I cut them out just a little smaller than the circle. First, I wrote the letter on the felt with chalk.
- Using embroidery floss, I used a really shiny kind, hand sew the letter to one circle. Make sure you only use two strands of the floss, not the whole thing.
- Sew the two circles together using two strands of the embroidery floss. Leave a space to fill the circle with rice.
- Fill with rice. I used a folded piece of cardboard as a sort of funnel.
- Sew the opening closed.
To heat, place in microwave for 15-20 seconds. Mine stay warm for about 20 minutes. Also, if they come out of the microwave a little damp, that is normal, although I’m not sure why it happens.
Leave a Reply