I often work and spend time outdoors. I usually wear a hoodie but sometimes they are just too warm and a t shirt is not warm enough. So, I decided to sew a zipper into my favourite hoodie. Below are the instructions to put a zipper into your own hoodie.
- A hoodie
- A zipper that is the same length as your hoodie, mine was 22″
- Thread to match
This is the hoodie I started with.
- Draw a straight line down the centre of your hoodie using the ruler and chalk.
- Cut along the chalk line.
- I used a serger to finish the raw edge. I do not think the fabric will unravel, I just wanted it to look nice.
- First of all, sorry for the blurry picture. Separate the zipper then pin it to the edges of the hoodie with good sides together.
- Sew the zipper to the hoodie using a zipper foot. Make sure you sew in the same direction for each side of the zipper. I sewed from the bottom to the top both times.
- Fold the zipper in so the edges are inside the hoodie. Then sew the back of the zipper to the front of the hoodie, like top stitching. I lined up the edge of the zipper with the edge of my presser foot as a guide.
Finished zippered hoodie.